Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sometimes you just have to Face the Cold!

Today was bitter cold, but yesterday it was "you could died out there cold". Yes dear reader that is the deferance between 0 degrees and minus 15 with a -45 degree wind chill.

 Yesterday my daughters car would not star, so I took her to out  the college. (LCCC did you really need to keep open yesterday?) On the way home the radiator in my truck burst,,,,ugh. Daughters husband pick her up from class.

This morning the car still would not start, so time to face the music. Dad to the rescue, 5 gallons of fresh gas a bottle of Red Heet, and 30 minutes worth of jumper cable time the Volvo was back on the road. Alex, you were a big help, now get set of jumper cables and keep them in the car!

 After getting Lindsay car running I knew that my truck had to get fix today. No matter what the weatherman promised for tomorrow it could not wait another 24 hours. $135 worth of parts, Cartharts, gloves, hat in place  face the bitter cold and replace the radiator. In the driveway exposed to cold and wind.

  Lucky, the Sun was shining and the wind was gentle. The radiator was out with in 30 minutes, only to find out that the parts store sold me the wrong radiator. UGH back to the store, exchange the part for the right one. Everything goes back to gather fine. I had been very careful not to spill the antifreeze, not a drop on the ground till I started filling the new radiator up then disaster!! I lost my grip on the jug of antifreeze and liquid went everywhere!! What a mess, trust me dear reader you do not want to have clean up half a gallon of spilled antifreeze when the temperature is below zero! Everything did get clean up and the truck runs just fine now.

 Now here is the punchline, Last week I bought oil and filter for truck. It is due for an oil change and the temps last week where in the 50s!! yes sunny and 50 degrees. So did your wise blogger do his oil change on a nice false spring day? No he wait till it is -5 degrees and is covered in antifreeze to do the oil change!

 Sometimes it is not smart to procrastinate, no matter how warm your Carharts are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment